Sweet n' Sour Chicken Skewers
30 minutes • Simple & Tasty • Family Favourite
- quarter cup (60 ml) fresh pineapple juice
- half cup (125 ml) vinegar
- quarter cup (60 g) white sugar
- half cup (90 g) tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 red capsicum, cut into 3cm pieces
- quarter (2 cups or 200 g) pineapple, cut into 3cm pieces
- 8 bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 15 minutes, drained
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- simmer vinegar, sugar, tomato sauce and pineapple juice in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Mix corn starch with water in a small bowl until smooth.
- Add to saucepan and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes then remove from heat and set aside. Reserve half the sauce for serving.
- cut chicken, capsicum and fresh pineapple and thread on skewers, alternating ingredients.
- Heat BBQ, grill or fry pan to medium heat and brush with oil.
- Grill skewers for 3 minutes each side.
- Brush on reserved sauce and grill for an additional 1 minute per side. Serve on steamed rice with remaining sauce.
Fun Pineapple Fact
Bromelain is a natural enzyme contained in pineapple that breaks down proteins. It’s good for digestion and meat tenderising.
More pineapple facts.