How to Pick a Pineapple
Summer fruit ready for market
Tropical Pineapples make it easy for you; we pick our King of Fruit when they are ripe and ready for market and get them on the shelves for consumers within two to five days (a day or two extra for Perth). This ensures they are perfect to eat from the day you buy them.
However, we recommend the following general tips:
- Look for a pineapple that is a good weight for its size. While larger pineapples will have a greater proportion of edible flesh, there is no difference in quality between a small and large size pineapple.
- Pineapples should be free of soft spots, bruises and darkened “eyes” – all of which may indicate a pineapple is damaged or past its prime.
- Pineapples change flavour as the skin colours and the acids turn to esters. The flavour on your tongue is the mix of acid and sugar and as the acid reduces, the flesh turns a deeper yellow and the flavour mellows. Pineapples are not able to produce sugar once harvested as they do not have a reserve of starch to convert.
Winter fruit ready for market
Remember; we pick them "just right" for the time of year so that they arrive at your table in prime condition. You should look out for different skin colours depending on the season:
- Summer – look for greener fruit with at least a ring of colour from the base.
- Winter – look for more coloured fruit with at least ½ colour.
Just look for the King of Fruit tag for a great pineapple every time!
Find out how to store pineapple