Pineapple, Tomato & Brie Galette with Polenta Crust
Contributed by King of Fruit
- Prep 1 hr
- Cooking 20 min
- Simple & Tasty
Enjoy this pineapple, tomato & brie galette with polenta crust - perfect for a light snack!
- 1/4 of a whole pineapple
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 175g / 6 oz brie (or any kind of cheese you prefer)
- 2 tsps of dried oregano
- 4 grinds of coarse black pepper (2 grinds per galette)
- 150g / 5 oz cold butter
- 150g / 5 oz plain flour
- 150g / 5 oz polenta
- 1/3 cup cold water
- Extra plain flour for dusting (approximately 1/4 cup more)
- Egg wash comprises of 1 egg & 1 tbsp of milk
- Preheat oven to 220 degree Celsius/ 428 degrees Fahrenheit for convection oven) or 200 degrees celsius / 392 degrees fahrenheit forfan-forced oven.
- Weigh polenta and plain flour.
- Add the polenta and flour into a food processor. Process until the flour and polenta is well mixed.
- Add diced cold butter into the flour-polenta mixture.
- Process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Then transfer the mixture to a mixing bowl.
- Get ready a cup of cold water and extra plain flour adjacent to your workstation before start working the dough. Start by pouring about 1/4 cup of cold water into the mixture on one hand and use another hand to form the dough. Pour the water little by little and work the dough until it holds together, not being wet and sticky (it took about 1/3 cup of water for me). Add more flour if you feel the dough is wet. Then cover the dough in a cling wrap and rest it in the fridge for at least an hour.
- While resting the dough, start preparing the filling. Slice the brie. Set aside.
- Slice tomatoes. Set aside. If you are using a fresh pineapple, peel the skin off and remove the “eyes”. Wash the pineapple with salt and thinly slice the pineapple.
- To assemble the galette – On a floured surfaced, roll 1/2 portion of the dough. (Remember to flour your rolling pin as well as the dough surface which is in contact with rolling pin). As you roll out the dough, if it feels sticky, add more flour on the dough. Trim the edges with a knife if it is really uneven. Transfer the rolled out dough to a parchment paper lined tray. Place slices of brie, followed by pineapple pieces and tomatoes. Sprinkle some 1 tsp of dried oregano and 2 grinds of black pepper on the filling.
Press the edges of the dough to form the galette. Brush the crust with eggwash before baking the galette for 20 minutes or until the crust has turned golden brown.
- When the galette is done baking, rest it for 10 minutes to allow the liquid in the filling to settle and the crust hardens before serving.