Pineapple Tarts Recipe
Contributed by Perth Food Engineers
For pineapple jam:
- 2 large pineapples
- 1 cup castor sugar
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1/2 star anise
- 300g butter (room temp)
- 120g margarine (room temp)
- 100g icing sugar
- 2 eggs
- 600g plain flour
- 30g custard powder
- 40g milk powder
Step A: Prepare the pineapple jam - cook and refrigerate overnight
1) Cut, dig out the eyes and slice pineapple into pieces. Grate till fine.
2) Press the grated pineapple with a spoon till semi dry.
3) Using low to medium heat, cook pineapple with sugar and spices stirring occasionally until moist liquid has evaporated and mixture turned golden.
4) Stir constantly to avoid burning. Note that the jam should not be too dry as it will dry further when baking (If too dry, add enough water to dilute).
5) Taste and add more sugar if needed.
6) Cool to room temperature and remove cinnamon stick & star anise.
7) Refrigerate overnight.
Step B: Make the pastry
1) Beat butter in a mixer until it turns light in colour, add egg and beat well.
2) Sift flour and add milk powder, icing sugar, custard powder to (1).
3) Fold all ingredients to form a smooth pastry dough.
4) Chill dough in fridge for at least 1/2 hour.
Step C: Putting the tart together
1) Roll out dough and press cookie dough cutter and place pieces on baking tray. Use a cookie dough cutter with two parts, the inner part to make a hollow in the tart for the pineapple fill (refer to photo of cookie dough cutter).
2) Take a teaspoon of pineapple jam (Step A), form a ball and press into the dough. Press the side of the jam to form a dome.
3) Bake at 160degC for 20 minutes till golden.