Pineapple Sponge Syrup Cake Recipe
Serve with Thai Curry Ice Cream
© Recipe by Chef Dale Sniffen
Makes: 22 cm to 26 cm lined cake tin
Baking time: 45 to 50 minutes @ 170 c “Pre heated”
- 6 eggs, 60gm size, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- pinch of salt
- 270gm organic Pure Icing sugar
- 80gm SR flour (low protein cake flour)
- 60gm corn flour (or custard powder)
- 80gm plain flour
- 1 cup organic brown sugar
- 8 crushed cardamon pods
- 1 vanilla pod, split in half
- 100gm butter, cubed
- 1 Pure Gold pineapple, peeled, cored, sliced into 5mm rings
- Put eggs, vanilla, salt and icing sugar in an electric mixer with the whisk attachment and vigorously (“full speed”) whip batter for 10 minutes or until it triples in volume.
- Combine all the flours in a separate bowl then sift at least 2 times. Sift a third time into the egg mixture and fold ingredients.
- Meanwhile make the caramel pineapple syrup. Combine all the syrup ingredients in a heavy based 4L saucepan and simmer slowly for 15 to 20 minutes or until a thick syrup consistency.
- Strain syrup and reserve pineapple pieces. Allow syrup to cool down before continuing to the next stage.
- Pour 1/3 of the syrup into a lined baking tin, then evenly arrange pineapple rings, pour in batter, remove any air holes by dropping the cake tin 5cm above the bench.
- Bake in preheated oven.
- Pour the other 2/3 of the syrup over the cake while it’s resting in the cake tin. Serve with Ice cream
View more pineapple cake recipes.