Fun Pineapple Facts
- Did you know pineapple is good for colds and coughs? Pineapples are packed with Vitamin C and all the flu fighting goodness you'd expect to get from oranges except pineapples have something EXTRA special! Bromelain, an enzyme which is found in pineapples, is excellent for digestion and has been found to help suppress coughs and loosen mucus.
- Pineapples, like tomatoes, spread around the world so thoroughly because they were kept on board ships to ward of scurvy in sailors.
- Did you know that you can grow a pineapple plant by twisting the crown off a store bought pineapple, allowing it to dry for 2-3 days, and then planting it?
- Although originally from South America, most of the world's pineapples now come from Southeast Asia. Thailand is said to be the biggest producer of pineapples in the region.
- Did you know one pineapple plant produces only one pineapple every 2 years?
- Did you know that a pineapple plant can fruit for up to 50 years in the wild?
- The word "pineapple" was first used in 1398 in reference to a pine cone. It is derived from the Spanish word "piña" which means pine cone. This was changed nearly 300 years later with the word "pine cone" being introduced so pineapple could be used exclusively for the fruit. You might also recognise the Spanish word "piña" from the name of the most popular pineapple drink the piña colada.
- Pineapple canneries use every bit of the pineapple. The skins, core and end portions are used to make a variety of products including vinegar, alcohol and animal food. It's always great when you don't have to waste anything.
- Bromelain is an enzyme contained in pineapple which breaks down proteins. This enzyme isn't only a good for your digestion of protein but it also means you can use pineapple juice as a meat tenderiser.
- Pineapple is not, strictly speaking, a fruit. Rather it is 100-200 fruitlets all fused together!
- Want to know more? Visit our links page for a bunch of resources on other websites! Find out more pineapple health benefits
More Pineapple Facts
Have a look at our Pineapple Fact Sheet which is also available for download here.